Dr. Hay enjoys the close relationships she is able to develop with patients as she practices medicine in a small town.
Living in a rural community is a familiar experience for the physician, who grew up in West and graduated from high school there. She graduated from Baylor University with a degree in Forensic Science and completed medical school at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas.
Dr. Hay trained at the prestigious John Peter Smith Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program in Forth Worth. While in her residency, Dr. Hay was selected Intern of the Year and also was named Resident of the Year in Family Medicine.
Family Medicine Clinic contacted Dr. Hay in the final year of her residency. She talked with Dr. James Cain and then visited Lampasas to learn more about the community and FMC.
Dr. Hay’s aunt, a family doctor in the Dallas-Forth Worth area, was one of her inspirations for pursuing a medical career. She also got to see personally how her aunt formed excellent, enduring relationships with her patients.
Dr. Hay enjoys helping people and working, in many cases, with multiple generations of families.
As a family practice physician certified by the American Academy of Family Physicians, Dr. Hay works with a wide variety of medical issues, including internal medicine, preventive care, geriatrics, pediatrics, immunizations, and well-woman care. She also treats patients with high blood pressure, diabetes, COPD, asthma, and other chronic conditions.
While she enjoys helping all her patients, Dr. Hay believes parenthood has given her a special connection to pediatric care. She has two sons, Chase and Jacob.
Dr. Hay, who speaks Spanish fluently, likes her interactions with patients of all ages. Family Medicine Clinic’s personal touch is an important part of helping patients achieve good health.
She believes it is important not only to care for patients but to understand what’s going on in their lives. Physicians have a much better understanding when they care for the whole family and comprehend things more holistically.
Dr. Hay affirms that FMC works hard to deliver excellent medical care without over-referring patients to out-of-town specialists.
She enjoys brainstorming with colleagues about the best ways to handle various medical issues. She also appreciates the perspectives and many years of experience of FMC’s physicians and finds that it is interesting to hear how medicine has changed and evolved over the years.
Dr. Hay notes, for example, that some FMC patients grew up before the development of antibiotics. While antibiotics have played an important role in medicine, the trend she has noticed is that doctors are prescribing antibiotics less than they did in the past and using other therapies to treat patients’ symptoms.
They physician also has seen noticeable changes in the Lampasas health care facilities. When she first started work in town, Dr. Hay practiced in the Rural Health Clinic, downstairs in the West Avenue E building that now houses visiting medical and surgical specialists. Dr. Hay said she appreciates the increased space and convenience of FMC’s new facility off of Highway US 190.
Dr. Hay and her family live in Lampasas, where they have renovated a house. She enjoys time with her family, spending time outdoors, and doing home decorating and cooking. She has very much enjoyed settling her family in Lampasas and being part of the community.
Dr. Georgia Hay’s CV
- John Peter Smith Family Medicine Program, Forth Worth, Texas — 2009-2012
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas — 2005-2009
Doctor of Medicine
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas — 2001-2005
Bachelor of Science in Forensic Science
- McLennan Community College, Waco, Texas — 2001-2005
Basic course requirements
- Family Medicine Clinic, Lampasas, Texas — 2012-present
- Waco Gastroenterology Associates, Waco, Texas — 2002-2005
Front office staff/scheduler/receptionist/medical records
- Rollins Brook Community Hospital, Lampasas, Texas
- Metroplex Health System, Killeen, Texas
- American Board of Family Medicine, Board Certified, 2012
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Academy of Family Physicians
- Lampasas/Burnet County Medical Society
- Lampasas County Public Health Officer
- Outstanding Family Medicine Resident — June 2012
- Phillip Mitchell, MD Memorial Outstanding Intern Award, June 2010
- The R. Michael Ragsdale, MD Award — May 2009
- Outstanding Family Practice Graduate — May 2009
- Award presented by TAFP and UTSE Medical School
- Summa Cum Laude graduate, Baylor University — 2005
- Outdoor activities, cooking, and decorating